Update on Tier Restrictions

Dear Member,

The trade and Industry members in the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Golf have welcomed the Prime Minister’s announcement on 23rd  November) that golf clubs and other facilities in England may reopen from 2nd  December. The announcement paves the way for golf to return here at BGC within the Rule of Six, permitting fourball play without restriction on the number of households.

Coaching, Fitting, the Golf Store and the Range will also be allowed to open, as will indoor hospitality facilities in Tier 2.

Following this Government’s announcement, we then received further notice regarding our updated Tier structure, placing Worcestershire in Tier 2.   We are subsequently sorry to hear of those Members who find themselves residing in adjoining Tier 3 regions and are, therefore,  currently unable to travel out of their Tier to play golf here at Bromsgrove. We will also be sending a separate email soon to those members that we can identify from our records as living in Tier 3 regions.

We hope sincerely that this is in the short term and the next review due on the 16th December will amend the regions and place those Tier 3’s into a Tier that accommodates travel, in the meantime can we please ask you to be patient whilst we await further news.

We are sure that we all share the same view and goal to reduce risk and to be adhering to the Governments request to protect our families and friends and in doing so trying to return to some form of normality as soon as possible.

In terms of Membership Fees for all-inclusive Silver & Gold members, those who pay by a single premium or by monthly Direct Debit, it would appear mightily unfair to charge fees to those who are unable to play golf and enjoy the facilities because of a Tier 3 travel restriction, whilst other members in Tier 2 can continue playing.


We are currently proposing to wait and review refunding any membership fees due until we know of any changes that might permit the return to playing golf once the Tier levels are reviewed on the 16th December.

For those members who pay by Direct Debit, if you are not able to play golf until mid- December, then we will credit back 50% of fees to your bank account to reimburse the lost period in December. However, if you are unable to play golf for the remainder of the month then we will refund the total amount due for the month. Any refunds due will take place immediately after we hear the results of the next review expected mid-month.

Members who have paid by single credit will have the same process applied against their 2021/22 renewals.

If you are a Gold or Silver or member and have been affected by this Tier restriction it is important that that you contact us so that we can record any refunds/ credits that may be required. If you prefer, you may decide to put your membership on hold for the whole of December, if so then please let us know at your earliest convenience, please ensure that you include member number and your email address in all correspondence.

Members in Tier 3 who are unable to travel to play are now respectfully asked to remove their name from any tee times they have made, up until the Tier review on the 16th December.

Please note that all members currently affected in Tier 3 (except for those who have asked us to put their membership on hold for the month) can continue to make bookings for the 17th December and onwards on the assumption that they may be able to play golf from this moment onwards, should the outcome of the next review permit. This will ensure tee times are secured and you can play golf immediately should the opportunity arise.

We are also facing the prospect of having to introduce restrictions in Edwards bar & restaurant, these will be emailed to all members on the tee booking sheet, the day before play, starting from 1st December.

Please also check out the News feature tab of our website for regular updates. https://www.bromsgrovegolfcentre.com/club-news/

We are mindful of our promise to extend the Members Card Discount to 15% for December and that members living in Tier 3 may miss out, we are delighted to confirm that this will now be extended through to 31st January and kept under review.

We can also confirm that the Management Committee has agreed unanimously to postpone Santa’s Scramble and hopefully a new date will be notified in the New Year.

We hope that you and your family are keeping safe and well,



Please find attached notice of the current Tier 2 and Tier 3 Restrictions.

Tier 2

Tier 3